Friday, November 18, 2022

Welcome the Tempest Weather Station

 Prime day

The most feared day of the year for my wife is Amazon Prime day, and last prime day was like none other. We (well I) ordered lots of very useful stuff and spend WAY too much time looking at lightning deals. With the current state of my weather station (mostly dead) I ran across a lighting deal for a WeatherFlow Tempest weather station. A small self contained external unit for $60 off, interesting. 

Tempest

I looked into it quickly (it is a lightning deal after all) and found the Tempest had the major requirements covered: Temperature, wind direction, Humidity, solar powered, wireless, Rain sensor. So far so good, but I want to integrate this with my Home Assistant and some other side projects, so I need the data. Well the Tempest has integrations out of the box, including: WeatherUnderground, IFTTT, Google, Alexa, Seri, SmartThings (Late 2022), to name only a few! But having an integration does not mean I can get to the data myself, does it? 

Data

Welcome the Weatherflow Tempest API & Developer platform. The API offers full REST and Websocket documentation that can all be accessed once you create an access token. Although the documentation recommends using the API, the Tempest does have a local UDP interface to your local network. 

Integrations 

The end goals are to integrate this into my Home Assistant house automation and to be able to have some remote weather displays. I am going to be looking into weatherflow2mqtt for interfacing with Home Assistant. I am going to be looking at using a Raspberry Pico to interface an LED Matrix for displaying weather information in the house. But those are for next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment